Just Add Water, the developers behind the Oddworld series HD remakes, have volunteered to remake the first Metal Gear Solid using Kojima Productions' Fox Engine.
In an open letter to Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, the studio — which is currently working on Abe's Oddysee remake Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty — said they are "ideally positioned" to remaster the original 1998 action-adventure stealth title.
"We at Just Add Water feel ideally positioned to do the remake justice for several reasons," reads the letter posted to the studio's official website, along with a short itemized lists of reasons.
"One: we have experience working with legendary IP (Oddworld Inhabitants) and treating the subject matter with the respect it deserves. Two: many members of our team are huge Metal Gear fans, with very good knowledge of the source material.
"Three: We really, really want to do it."
The company pointed to its work on Oddworld: Strager's Wrath HD — which launched last year for PlayStation 3, Vita and Windows PC — as evidence of its talent for remakes.
Earlier this week, reports circulated that Kojima was actively searching for a studio to remake Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2. Kojima clarified that this information, which came from an article discussing a round table he participated in at E3, was a mistranslation.
"I answered, 'You (the journalist) wanted me to do [Metal Gear Solid 2] on Fox Engine, but I [can't do it]," he tweeted in response to the article. "I wish if only someone could make [Metal Gear Solid 1] on Fox Engine."
However, Chris mistranlated as "Personally he would like have MGS1 on Fox Engine, so he try to find someone right now to do that." NOOOOO!!!— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) June 27, 2013
While Kojima is not actively pursuing outside development for the possible updates, he would gladly allow a developer with enough "love and passion" to remake the games using the Fox Engine.
Well, if there's some creator or team in this world who has love and passion to remake "MGS1", I would love to ask for it.— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) June 27, 2013
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- League of Legends World Championship poised to sell out 45K seat stadium
- State of Decay dev's latest project is like the online Pokémon game you've always wanted
- VR school girls? When a Pokemon fighting game isn't the weirdest project from Bandai Namco
- Here's the first trailer for the new Resident Evil 1 remake
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?