Just Add Water, the developers behind the Oddworld series HD remakes, have volunteered to remake the first Metal Gear Solid using Kojima Productions' Fox Engine.
In an open letter to Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, the studio — which is currently working on Abe's Oddysee remake Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty — said they are "ideally positioned" to remaster the original 1998 action-adventure stealth title.
"We at Just Add Water feel ideally positioned to do the remake justice for several reasons," reads the letter posted to the studio's official website, along with a short itemized lists of reasons.
"One: we have experience working with legendary IP (Oddworld Inhabitants) and treating the subject matter with the respect it deserves. Two: many members of our team are huge Metal Gear fans, with very good knowledge of the source material.
"Three: We really, really want to do it."
The company pointed to its work on Oddworld: Strager's Wrath HD — which launched last year for PlayStation 3, Vita and Windows PC — as evidence of its talent for remakes.
Earlier this week, reports circulated that Kojima was actively searching for a studio to remake Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2. Kojima clarified that this information, which came from an article discussing a round table he participated in at E3, was a mistranslation.
"I answered, 'You (the journalist) wanted me to do [Metal Gear Solid 2] on Fox Engine, but I [can't do it]," he tweeted in response to the article. "I wish if only someone could make [Metal Gear Solid 1] on Fox Engine."
However, Chris mistranlated as "Personally he would like have MGS1 on Fox Engine, so he try to find someone right now to do that." NOOOOO!!!— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) June 27, 2013
While Kojima is not actively pursuing outside development for the possible updates, he would gladly allow a developer with enough "love and passion" to remake the games using the Fox Engine.
Well, if there's some creator or team in this world who has love and passion to remake "MGS1", I would love to ask for it.— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) June 27, 2013
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Starbound review: space jam
- I created my own MMO and lost 100 pounds, interested in signing up?
- Train Jam 2014 offers up first batch of games
- Fract OSC review: dead or alive
- Riot Games reveals the next League of Legends Champion: Braum
- Destiny website revamp reveals more about enemies, classes, locations
- NES Remix 2 - Overview video
- Picross e4 hits Nintendo 3DS May 1
- How Dragon Age: Inquisition's trailer opens up new story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Project Spark Love
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- After this, GTA V for PC is pretty much confirmed
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Easter Monday MMXIV (Mon 21 April)