Just Add Water, the developers behind the Oddworld series HD remakes, have volunteered to remake the first Metal Gear Solid using Kojima Productions' Fox Engine.
In an open letter to Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, the studio — which is currently working on Abe's Oddysee remake Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty — said they are "ideally positioned" to remaster the original 1998 action-adventure stealth title.
"We at Just Add Water feel ideally positioned to do the remake justice for several reasons," reads the letter posted to the studio's official website, along with a short itemized lists of reasons.
"One: we have experience working with legendary IP (Oddworld Inhabitants) and treating the subject matter with the respect it deserves. Two: many members of our team are huge Metal Gear fans, with very good knowledge of the source material.
"Three: We really, really want to do it."
The company pointed to its work on Oddworld: Strager's Wrath HD — which launched last year for PlayStation 3, Vita and Windows PC — as evidence of its talent for remakes.
Earlier this week, reports circulated that Kojima was actively searching for a studio to remake Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2. Kojima clarified that this information, which came from an article discussing a round table he participated in at E3, was a mistranslation.
"I answered, 'You (the journalist) wanted me to do [Metal Gear Solid 2] on Fox Engine, but I [can't do it]," he tweeted in response to the article. "I wish if only someone could make [Metal Gear Solid 1] on Fox Engine."
However, Chris mistranlated as "Personally he would like have MGS1 on Fox Engine, so he try to find someone right now to do that." NOOOOO!!!— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) June 27, 2013
While Kojima is not actively pursuing outside development for the possible updates, he would gladly allow a developer with enough "love and passion" to remake the games using the Fox Engine.
Well, if there's some creator or team in this world who has love and passion to remake "MGS1", I would love to ask for it.— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) June 27, 2013
- State of Decay's Lifeline DLC is just the start of Undead Labs' 'long-term ambitions'
- See Star Citizen's dogfighting, and more, in action
- AbleGamers Foundation raised more than $33K at PAX East 2014
- Hearthstone Fireside Gatherings will help players meet in the real world April 26
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- Games for Change goes mainstream with the help of Tribeca Film Festival
- Wasteland 2 adds Linux support in major Early Access update
- This is how you get a lightsaber in Disney Infinity
- Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies, Street Fighter vets and more designing Magic 2015 cards
- Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth videos detail damage-dealing Boost system
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Easter Monday MMXIV (Mon 21 April)
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC