Just Add Water, the developers behind the Oddworld series HD remakes, have volunteered to remake the first Metal Gear Solid using Kojima Productions' Fox Engine.
In an open letter to Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, the studio — which is currently working on Abe's Oddysee remake Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty — said they are "ideally positioned" to remaster the original 1998 action-adventure stealth title.
"We at Just Add Water feel ideally positioned to do the remake justice for several reasons," reads the letter posted to the studio's official website, along with a short itemized lists of reasons.
"One: we have experience working with legendary IP (Oddworld Inhabitants) and treating the subject matter with the respect it deserves. Two: many members of our team are huge Metal Gear fans, with very good knowledge of the source material.
"Three: We really, really want to do it."
The company pointed to its work on Oddworld: Strager's Wrath HD — which launched last year for PlayStation 3, Vita and Windows PC — as evidence of its talent for remakes.
Earlier this week, reports circulated that Kojima was actively searching for a studio to remake Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2. Kojima clarified that this information, which came from an article discussing a round table he participated in at E3, was a mistranslation.
"I answered, 'You (the journalist) wanted me to do [Metal Gear Solid 2] on Fox Engine, but I [can't do it]," he tweeted in response to the article. "I wish if only someone could make [Metal Gear Solid 1] on Fox Engine."
However, Chris mistranlated as "Personally he would like have MGS1 on Fox Engine, so he try to find someone right now to do that." NOOOOO!!!— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) June 27, 2013
While Kojima is not actively pursuing outside development for the possible updates, he would gladly allow a developer with enough "love and passion" to remake the games using the Fox Engine.
Well, if there's some creator or team in this world who has love and passion to remake "MGS1", I would love to ask for it.— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) June 27, 2013
- Is Civilization: Beyond Earth any good?
- Madden 15 review: victory formation
- Inside a video game voiceover studio
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Old Iron King - A spoiler-free guide
- Video games are good
- SWAT threat locks down school, gets Counter-Strike player slammed to the ground
- Five Nights at Freddy's is a childhood-ruining nightmare factory
- You can now play BioShock on iOS for $14.99
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- On Patreon support
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here
- Where to buy?
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.