Just Add Water, the developers behind the Oddworld series HD remakes, have volunteered to remake the first Metal Gear Solid using Kojima Productions' Fox Engine.
In an open letter to Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, the studio — which is currently working on Abe's Oddysee remake Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty — said they are "ideally positioned" to remaster the original 1998 action-adventure stealth title.
"We at Just Add Water feel ideally positioned to do the remake justice for several reasons," reads the letter posted to the studio's official website, along with a short itemized lists of reasons.
"One: we have experience working with legendary IP (Oddworld Inhabitants) and treating the subject matter with the respect it deserves. Two: many members of our team are huge Metal Gear fans, with very good knowledge of the source material.
"Three: We really, really want to do it."
The company pointed to its work on Oddworld: Strager's Wrath HD — which launched last year for PlayStation 3, Vita and Windows PC — as evidence of its talent for remakes.
Earlier this week, reports circulated that Kojima was actively searching for a studio to remake Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2. Kojima clarified that this information, which came from an article discussing a round table he participated in at E3, was a mistranslation.
"I answered, 'You (the journalist) wanted me to do [Metal Gear Solid 2] on Fox Engine, but I [can't do it]," he tweeted in response to the article. "I wish if only someone could make [Metal Gear Solid 1] on Fox Engine."
However, Chris mistranlated as "Personally he would like have MGS1 on Fox Engine, so he try to find someone right now to do that." NOOOOO!!!— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) June 27, 2013
While Kojima is not actively pursuing outside development for the possible updates, he would gladly allow a developer with enough "love and passion" to remake the games using the Fox Engine.
Well, if there's some creator or team in this world who has love and passion to remake "MGS1", I would love to ask for it.— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) June 27, 2013
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 4 review: existential crisis
- The New Yorker's archives are free - here's a guide to some of its best gaming stories
- Invisible, Inc. is more interested in quiet observation than murder
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Endless Legend seeks the perfect imbalance to keep players exploring and exterminating
- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtrack has a rap single and it's as tacky as you'd hope
- Your first look at Agent Locke in Ridley Scott's Halo: Nightfall
- Tetris Ultimate is also coming to Nintendo 3DS
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Destiny Beta
- I just want a gritty mature MOBA
- Polygon YouTube Channel