Google is developing an Android-powered gaming console, the Wall Street Journal reports citing "people familiar with the matter."
The company is also developing an Android-powered, internet-connected wrist watch and is aiming to release one of the devices this fall, according to the Wall Street Journal's sources. The sources frame the devices as anticipatory measures designed to compete with Apple, which Google apparently believes may release a console component with its next Apple TV as well as a watch.
During its WWDC 2013 keynote presentation earlier this month, Apple revealed that iOS 7, the upcoming version of the operating system that powers the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, would support third-party game controllers. Android already supports third-party controllers, like PowerA's Moga series.
Android, Google's mobile and tablet operating system, already powers a handful of micro-consoles, including the just-launched Ouya and PlayJam's GameStick. According to the Wall Street Journal, Google plans to design and market the console and watch itself. For more on the third-party Android-based consoles, be sure to check out Polygon's coverage from CES 2013.
Google filed for a patent related to a "smart-watch" in May of this year, and a report earlier this year said that the Android division was developing the device. Apple is also rumored to be developing a watch. Earlier this year, sources told the Verge that it would run iOS and be released later this year. At the D11 conference in May, Apple CEO Tim Cook expressed interest in wearable technology.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- League of Legends World Championship poised to sell out 45K seat stadium
- State of Decay dev's latest project is like the online Pokémon game you've always wanted
- VR school girls? When a Pokemon fighting game isn't the weirdest project from Bandai Namco
- Here's the first trailer for the new Resident Evil 1 remake
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?