Google is developing an Android-powered gaming console, the Wall Street Journal reports citing "people familiar with the matter."
The company is also developing an Android-powered, internet-connected wrist watch and is aiming to release one of the devices this fall, according to the Wall Street Journal's sources. The sources frame the devices as anticipatory measures designed to compete with Apple, which Google apparently believes may release a console component with its next Apple TV as well as a watch.
During its WWDC 2013 keynote presentation earlier this month, Apple revealed that iOS 7, the upcoming version of the operating system that powers the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, would support third-party game controllers. Android already supports third-party controllers, like PowerA's Moga series.
Android, Google's mobile and tablet operating system, already powers a handful of micro-consoles, including the just-launched Ouya and PlayJam's GameStick. According to the Wall Street Journal, Google plans to design and market the console and watch itself. For more on the third-party Android-based consoles, be sure to check out Polygon's coverage from CES 2013.
Google filed for a patent related to a "smart-watch" in May of this year, and a report earlier this year said that the Android division was developing the device. Apple is also rumored to be developing a watch. Earlier this year, sources told the Verge that it would run iOS and be released later this year. At the D11 conference in May, Apple CEO Tim Cook expressed interest in wearable technology.
- An awful week to care about video games
- Dust: An Elysian Tail coming to PS4 'very soon'
- The pitch versus the reality: what one of gaming's biggest Kickstarters looks like now
- Xbox One system update rolling out now, includes media player and more
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Old Iron King - A spoiler-free guide
- How Salt and Sanctuary reimagines Dark Souls as a 2D action-platformer
- SWAT threat locks down school, gets Counter-Strike player slammed to the ground
- Salt and Sanctuary brings a love of 2D Castlevania and Dark Souls to PS4, Vita
- Game developer group condemns 'morally reprehensible' harassment
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- On Patreon support
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League