The developers of 2D indie PC fighting game Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm are turning to crowdfunding site Indiegogo to "power up and complete" the game they've been working on for the past six years.
Yatagarasu's developer, a small team of former SNK and The King of Fighters staffers, says development of the game has been "extremely time-consuming and expensive, but we've made up for our lack of resources by putting lots of time into the game." Hoping to speed up that process, the team is seeking at least $68,000 to continue work on the title.
"We are seeking funding to allow us to make a leap in progress and also to add new elements that we otherwise might not be able to include," the Yatagarasu fundraising page reads. That includes the addition of new characters, English-language localization and development of an arcade version of the game for Japan. The developer also promises to self-fund updated graphics, balance improvements, improved online features and a rewritten story.
The game's creators outline stretch goals that include new characters, localization for four more languages (Spanish, French, Italian, German), a comic book and further refinements. Yatagarasu's highest stretch goal promises to actually pay its developers, who currently "work for zero pay."
Developed in the vein of classic 2D fighters like Street Fighter 3 and SNK's The King of Fighters series, Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm's fighting system is based on body language, and focuses on parries and counters. The game also features dynamic commentary from actual fighting game players, who pop onscreen to provide color about battles.
The updated version of Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm is scheduled for release in February 2014. The minimum purchase price for backers to get the game is $10. More details about rewards for each donation tier are available at Indiegogo.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Puppeteer, PayDay 2 and more join PS Plus Europe free game collection April 30
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?
- Documentary that explores queerness in games out now for pay what you want price
- Botanicula ready for iPad on May 1
- Star Wars: The Old Republic expansion Galactic Strongholds delayed
- The Dreamcast was the beginning, and the end, of the golden age of peripherals
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown is 'coming soon' to Android