Following news that only Xbox One headsets and peripherals will be compatible with Microsoft's next-generation console, the company confirmed that it will work on solutions to allow other brands of gaming headsets to connect to the controller for gaming and chat audio, it told Polygon in a prepared statement.
"The Wireless Controller has been redesigned to allow for higher data transfer speed between the controller and the console," Microsoft Australia told Polygon the statement. "This also required creating a new expansion port design for headsets and future controller add-on devices which is different from a standard audio plug input. Xbox plans to develop solutions in the near future to allow consumers to connect many brands of wired gaming headsets to the Wireless Controller for gaming and chat audio."
News about the planned support was first broached on the Official Xbox Twitter account when it tweeted that the company was developing an adapter for current-gen headsets to connect to the console.
@craigfellows We are working to develop an adapter for current wired headsets to connect. More details as we approach launch. ^PS— Xbox Support (1-5) (@XboxSupport) June 26, 2013
A few days ago, Microsoft confirmed that only Xbox One controllers and accessories will work with the hardware. Around the same, it also announced that Xbox One headsets will not be included in the base system, stressing that the packaged Kinect sensor will enable voice inputs for in-game chat and other communication apps. However, an Xbox One headset will be available from the console's launch in November.
Gaming gear manufacturer Astro revealed earlier this week that it is pushing for a developer license for the Xbox One to produce compatible peripherals for the next-gen hardware. The company said that voice chat on current Astro headsets will not work on the new console and it will have to make Xbox One-specific peripherals, instead of universal products.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What is your Current Game of the Year?