Electronic Arts aims to return Origin, the company's digital marketplace and social platform, "back to our roots as a service for gamers," EA executive vice president Andrew Wilson told GamesIndustry International.
Wilson served as a member of the EA team that "had this kernel of an idea of what Origin could be," he said. That original vision was of service that allowed easy access to purchase games, find friends and even install updates.
Wilson acknowledged, however, that the "transaction component of that service has taken a disproportionate amount of the communication and mindshare of what we really try and provide."
To Wilson, the future of Origin is linked to those founding principles.
"Part of the reason why I think it came back in to me was my history with Origin," he said. "And the ability to take a step back and say okay, now that we have the plumbing what does 'Make your EA games better' mean? What does 'Make it easier to access those games' mean? What does 'enhanced gameplay' mean? What does 'connect with friends' mean in the context of Origin, and what does that mean for the PC, for console, and for mobile? Really coming back to our roots as a service for gamers, versus anything else that it may have been perceived to have been over the last few years by virtue of its various permutations or changes in direction."
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- How the E.T. documentary chronicles the birth of the unsatisfied game consumer
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Battlefield 4 forum?
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- XBOne Classifieds
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?