StarCraft 2, Blizzard's spacefaring real-time strategy game, will receive a new Spawning feature today that allows players who own the full game to play with those who don't, according to a post on Battle.net.
With Spawning, those who download StarCraft 2's Starter Edition — a free, feature limited version of the RTS — will be able to join parties and play content that was previously available only to those who own the full version. They're "Spawned up" as long as they remain in the party.
"For example, when a Starter Edition player joins a party with a Wings of Liberty-level player, both are instantly playing Wings of Liberty," the post reads. "When those two players then join a party with a Heart of the Swarm-level player, they all immediately gain access to Heart of the Swarm content, and they keep that access until their party no longer includes any higher-expansion level players."
Check out the video above to hear community manager "Cloaken" explain and demonstrate the new Spawning system, which is expected to launch worldwide throughout the day.
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)