The next game in the Deus Ex universe, Deus Ex: The Fall, will be published to mobile devices and tells a story parallel to console title Deus Ex: Human Revolution, developer Eidos Montreal announced today.
The studio has been working on The Fall for the last year in collaboration with Square Enix's European mobile division. The first installment of the "mobile series" will launch this summer and will cost $6.99.
The game features a completely different story despite being set in 2027, the same time period as Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Players step into the shoes of Ben Saxon, a former British SAS Mercenary who has undergone physical augmentation and is trying to unravel a drug conspiracy and find out what happened to him.
The Fall is a sequel to the Human Revolution prequel novel Deus Ex: Icarus Effect. The Fall picks up right where the story ends and includes many characters from the book. In the game, players will have access to many of the augmentations and tools available to them in Human Revolution.
"We're really excited to continue the Deus Ex series on mobile and start a new journey" said Eidos executive game director Jean-François Dugas in a press statement. "The team has done an incredible job creating a whole new story and controls for intuitive touch screen gameplay, whilst staying true to the Deus Ex universe. Players can expect exploration, action, hacking, stealth, social enhancers, player choice and consequence — the full Deus Ex experience."
"Smart devices are central to Square Enix's platform strategy and we approach it with the same attention as our boxed and digital releases," added general manager of Square Enix mobile Antony Douglas. "Deus Ex: The Fall is going to be testament to our commitment in delivering high quality entertainment on mobile and tablet devices."
Square Enix began teasing the title earlier this week. The title will be shown next week at E3 2013 at Square Enix's booth.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What is your Current Game of the Year?