The new game director of Diablo 3, Josh Mosqueira, took to the game's official website today to outline Blizzard Entertainment's plans for the future of the action RPG. According to Mosqueira, that includes a focus on making items feel more meaningful and reducing "the impact of the Auction House" in Diablo 3.
Mosqueira says he was originally brought onto the Diablo 3 team to help develop the console versions of the game. (The title is coming to PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.) After the departure of former game director Jay Wilson, who has moved on to another Blizzard project, Mosqueira shifted his attention from the console version to Diablo 3 as a whole.
He says he wants to keep the "core magic formula" of Diablo in tact and refine the game's experience. Here's how.
"We want items to feel more meaningful, and we want players to be excited about the next loot drop," Mosqueira wrote, echoing similar sentiments posted by fellow Blizzard designer Travis Day. "Our goal is to make the loot experience more enjoyable for ALL players. This includes reducing the amount of loot that drops while improving the overall quality, introducing targeted Legendaries, and giving players ways to directly customize their character's armor-both visually and mechanically.
"We're also looking into ways to reduce the impact of the Auction House," Mosqueira adds. "While we think the feature does provide a lot of value, it shouldn't feel like the end-all-be-all force driving character progression."
At the Game Developers Conference this year, Jay Wilson said Diablo 3's gold-driven and real-money auction houses "really hurt the game."
Mosqueira goes further in discussing the future of Diablo 3 in his post, explaining that Blizzard will be "focused on preserving the core fantasy by cultivating the roots of the Diablo storyline, fine-tuning the heroes for what lays ahead, and creating new monsters and demons that will once again plant the seed of fear in your hearts."
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- The Titanfall for Vita that wasn't and the decision that changed its name
- PS3 bundled with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for $269 at Walmart
- Meet the gay soldier you didn't know was in Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
- What makes a good console MMO?
- Doctor Who: Legacy first major update will add more than 20 hours of gameplay
- The modder who fixed Dark Souls' PC port scrutinizes Dark Souls 2
- Octodad: Dadliest Catch launches April 22 for PS4
- VR headsets replacing standard displays is likely, not insane
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?
- The best song in a video game?
- Controller Design Competition