The first game from Respawn Entertainment is called Titanfall, and will be published for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Windows PC, according to the July cover of Game Informer magazine which has been posted to NeoGAF.
NeoGAF user "Cartman86" wrote that the cover was downloaded to his tablet by Google Play, through which he subscribes to Game Informer. According to the poster, Titanfall is multiplayer-focused and makes extensive use of the cloud, and the Xbox 360 version is in development with another studio.
"After a bitter split with Activision and Call of Duty, Respawn debuts its bold vision for next-gen multiplayer," reads the magazine cover, which bears the picture of a woman shooting down at a mech.
According to "Cartman86," the article states the first-person shooter is being built on the Source engine and will launch in spring 2014. Players will become pilots controlling massive mechs called Titans, which can be piloted or programmed to follow along in battle. The game will use Microsoft's cloud services for dedicated servers, physics and AI.
Attempting to purchase the issue through Google Play now returns an error message.
In February, Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella tweeted that the studio would be at E3 2013 and had "no intention of showing up empty handed." In April, Kotaku reported the company's debut title would be an exclusive to Xbox 360 and Microsoft's then-unnamed next generation Xbox. The report called the game Titans. That same month Respawn filed a trademark for Titanfall.
Polygon has reached out to publisher Electronic Arts and will share more details we have them. Check out the full cover below.
Update: An EA representative responded to our inquiries, explaining, "There's a lot more of Titanfall to be revealed. Tune in to the EA E3 press conference on Monday June 10 at 1pm PDT for the details."
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax will include story DLC, RPG-like arena mode
- Investors put up millions for a virtual reality treadmill and now it could come to consoles
- Minecraft Realms now available in North America
- Metal Gear Ground Zeroes platform-exclusive missions go multiplatform in Japan May 1
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle, Peach and Yoshi Wii Remotes hitting Europe May 30
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Twitch Stream: Titanfall (One Match)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)