The first game from Respawn Entertainment is called Titanfall, and will be published for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Windows PC, according to the July cover of Game Informer magazine which has been posted to NeoGAF.
NeoGAF user "Cartman86" wrote that the cover was downloaded to his tablet by Google Play, through which he subscribes to Game Informer. According to the poster, Titanfall is multiplayer-focused and makes extensive use of the cloud, and the Xbox 360 version is in development with another studio.
"After a bitter split with Activision and Call of Duty, Respawn debuts its bold vision for next-gen multiplayer," reads the magazine cover, which bears the picture of a woman shooting down at a mech.
According to "Cartman86," the article states the first-person shooter is being built on the Source engine and will launch in spring 2014. Players will become pilots controlling massive mechs called Titans, which can be piloted or programmed to follow along in battle. The game will use Microsoft's cloud services for dedicated servers, physics and AI.
Attempting to purchase the issue through Google Play now returns an error message.
In February, Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella tweeted that the studio would be at E3 2013 and had "no intention of showing up empty handed." In April, Kotaku reported the company's debut title would be an exclusive to Xbox 360 and Microsoft's then-unnamed next generation Xbox. The report called the game Titans. That same month Respawn filed a trademark for Titanfall.
Polygon has reached out to publisher Electronic Arts and will share more details we have them. Check out the full cover below.
Update: An EA representative responded to our inquiries, explaining, "There's a lot more of Titanfall to be revealed. Tune in to the EA E3 press conference on Monday June 10 at 1pm PDT for the details."
- CounterSpy review: arms race
- 1080p will come to Xbox One games, but at a cost
- The police aren't an army: the problem with Battlefield Hardline
- Game dev harassment remains as bad as it was a year ago
- Ukraine's 4A Games lands in Malta: 'We are not betrayers'
- LittleBigPlanet 3's Oddsock cannot be stopped or contained
- Watch Jimmy Fallon gun down James Bond himself in GoldenEye 007
- Wasteland 2 will be officially released Sept. 19
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 listing appears on Xbox.com
- Atari's bringing back Haunted House and Alone in the Dark this fall
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Combo Compilation of Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
- What's a good game for a 65-year old first time gamer?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was here. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret to everyone.
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 19
- Feature to track games?
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?