The next Legacy of Kain game is currently in development, though it won't be the same as "traditional" entries in the franchise, Square Enix community manager George Kelion confirmed to VG247.
"Nosgoth exists and is in active development, but is not a traditional Legacy of Kain action-adventure game," said Kelion. "The community should not be thinking of Nosgoth in terms of a single-player experience."
Kelion said the game will not be announced at E3, and Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics is not involved with the project.
"We don't want people to get the wrong idea about Nosgoth following the AMD and Steam leaks ahead of its future official announcement," he said. "Nosgoth is not being developed by Crystal Dynamics. Crystal Dynamics are not working on a Legacy of Kain game."
Kelion explained Square Enix decided to share this information on Nosgoth early because it "felt weird" to have "a bunch of info out there" following the game's appearance last month in the Steam database, as well as in a listing on a composer's LinkedIn profile and the patch logs of an AMD driver. Kelion said there would be an official announcement for Nosgoth "in due course."
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- EA offers top games and big discounts for $5 a month
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake