Electronic Arts hasn't completely written off the Wii U, but there won't be any games coming from them for the Nintendo console this fall, EA president of labels Frank Gibeau told Polygon.
"We have a good partnership with Nintendo," he said. "We released four games on the platform over the last year and we're pretty proud of Need For Speed, and Madden, and FIFA and Mass Effect. We have guys that our looking at the Wii U in the studio system right now as an opportunity for the future, but we have no publicly announced Wii U games that we're going to release this fall."
Gibeau added that the developer and publisher does consider the Wii U a generation four console, the generation that includes both the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4. But when asked why the publisher doesn't have any titles in development for the system, Gibeau said that there's "no more context for me to add."
"We're really excited about the Xbox One and the PS4 and that's a pretty big endeavor in and of itself," he said. "We have four titles out on the Wii U that are active right now, so looking at how things unfold, that's where our focus is right now."
Gibeau also talked about the company's planned support for what, as of this coming holiday, will become last gen consoles: The PS3 and Xbox 360.
"Gen 3 is an awesome platform," he said. "It has a huge audience and has a lot of capability and we're going to continue to publish games on gen 3 for as long as there is an audience there. We have a tendency as a company to support the last-gen platforms for many many years. I can tell you we have products planned for next year, the year after that and the year after that for gen 3 for sure."
- An awful week to care about video games
- How Salt and Sanctuary reimagines Dark Souls as a 2D action-platformer
- Valve taken to court by Australian consumer commission over Steam refund policy
- The pitch versus the reality: what one of gaming's biggest Kickstarters looks like now
- Dust: An Elysian Tail coming to PS4 'very soon'
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- Where to buy?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- On Being A "Gamer"
- On Patreon support
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here