Sony won't differentiate between traditional publishers and indies on the PlayStation 4 because "Every single individual developer is a publisher as far as we're concerned," Agostino Simonetta, senior account manager of development at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, said at the Develop Conference this week.
"We don't separate, we don't segregate indies from traditional publishers," Joystiq quotes Simonetta as saying.
Under the PS4's level publishing playing field, indie developers can work with Sony to determine release dates and promote their games through the PlayStation Blog and social networks. Developers can even visit the SCE Europe offices.
"For us, it's key that each and every one of the companies working on PlayStation can come and talk to us at any time they want or need," he said.
Braid developer Jonathan Blow is among those already planning on self-publishing on Sony's next-gen console with his next game, The Witness. For more on the implications of the PS4's self-publishing capabilities, be sure to read our interview with the indie developers of Ridiculous Fishing, Retro City Rampage and more.
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- What Last-Gen Game Do You Want Remade For Next-Gen?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Tell Us Your Story