The winners of annual fighting game tournament Evo were decided over the weekend, with DM MCZ Xian winning the Super Street Fighter 4 world championship during tonight's Evo 2013 grand finals.
DM MCZ Xian defeated MCZ Tokido in the Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition Version 2012 grand final tonight. Last year's champion, Seon-woo Lee "Infiltration," was knocked out in an earlier round.
Injustice: Gods Among Us, making its Evo debut, was taken by KDZ who beat out DJT 88, using Superman to crush Green Lantern and Doomsday. Mango defeated Wobblez in the Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament, which almost didn't happen after Nintendo's attempted intervention to take the Melee stream and event down.
Reynald beat Hee San Woo in the King of Fighters 13 grand final. Last year's champion MadKOF came in third after being knocked out by Reynald in the previous match.
Infiltration, Evo 2012's champion for Super Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter x Tekken, defeated Evil Geniuses' Justin Wong to win the Street Fighter X Tekken 2013 Edition grand final. FS EMP Flocker dominated the Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 tournament.
Hosted at the Paris Las Vegas Hotel and Casino from July 12 to 14, Evo 2013 officially featured nine fighting games. Founder and organizer Tom Cannon told Polygon that this year's fighting game championship was its biggest yet.
The full list of Evo 2013 champions include:
- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - FS EMP|Flocker
- Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition Ver. 2012 - DM MCZ Xian
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - CafeId|Knee
- Mortal Kombat - Crazy DJT 88
- Street Fighter X Tekken 2013 Edition - Infiltration
- Super Smash Bros. Melee - Mango
- The King of Fighters 13 - AS|Reynald
- Persona 4 Arena - Yume
- Injustice: Gods Among Us. - KDZ
Detailed information about tournaments, results and Evo streams is available at Shoryuken. Polygon has reached out to Twitch for official numbers.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- You can pre-order this beautiful $365 Metroid statue starting today
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is 'the equivalent of four Hollywood movies' says Sledgehammer
- The industry is trying to resurrect GaymerX, $3,000 at a time
- EA Access wants to be Netflix for video games, but it doesn't go far enough
- Animal Crossing chief celebrates greater diversity at Nintendo
- League of Legends has an adorable new champion, and a reworked veteran