Xbox One launch title Forza Motorsport 5 will require a one-off connection to Xbox Live in order to play it, Turn 10 Studios head Dan Greenawalt told IGN.
"So when you first boot up the game, we're going to ask you to log in," he told IGN. "And when you log in you're going to get the Drivatars and you're also going to get a whole bunch of content: tracks and cars. Our production schedule is such that we are putting them in as late as possible and that means making them free as downloadable content on Day One.
"[But] that is required content to play the game. We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in, in order to make the biggest game possible."
The entire game won't be on the disc and will require users to download the rest from Xbox Live. According to Greenawalt, Forza 5 is like a refrigerator where players have to "fill it up with food the first time" and connect whenever they "want to update your food."
Forza 5 tracks everything about the way the player races, for instance, the types of cars they drive to the paths taken around the track, and feeds that data to the cloud. The information is then compiled into a Drivatar, a virtual driver that exhibits a players tendencies in races.
Greenawalt told IGN that players will have to connect to get the latest Drivatars, because "we need as many people training them as possible rather than having just a launch-day set that was created by us." He went on to say to that Turn 10 Studios isn't making a launch title, it is "making Forza 5, at launch."
For more about Forza 5, be sure to read our hands-on preview with the game where we also have a chat with Greenawalt.
- Towerfall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- Prepare to run Dark Souls 2 with the PC version's system requirements
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)