Xbox One launch title Forza Motorsport 5 will require a one-off connection to Xbox Live in order to play it, Turn 10 Studios head Dan Greenawalt told IGN.
"So when you first boot up the game, we're going to ask you to log in," he told IGN. "And when you log in you're going to get the Drivatars and you're also going to get a whole bunch of content: tracks and cars. Our production schedule is such that we are putting them in as late as possible and that means making them free as downloadable content on Day One.
"[But] that is required content to play the game. We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in, in order to make the biggest game possible."
The entire game won't be on the disc and will require users to download the rest from Xbox Live. According to Greenawalt, Forza 5 is like a refrigerator where players have to "fill it up with food the first time" and connect whenever they "want to update your food."
Forza 5 tracks everything about the way the player races, for instance, the types of cars they drive to the paths taken around the track, and feeds that data to the cloud. The information is then compiled into a Drivatar, a virtual driver that exhibits a players tendencies in races.
Greenawalt told IGN that players will have to connect to get the latest Drivatars, because "we need as many people training them as possible rather than having just a launch-day set that was created by us." He went on to say to that Turn 10 Studios isn't making a launch title, it is "making Forza 5, at launch."
For more about Forza 5, be sure to read our hands-on preview with the game where we also have a chat with Greenawalt.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deep Silver buys Homefront from Crytek, moves Homefront: The Revolution to new studio
- Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas Plague Quarter - Overview Video
- What it's like to attend Girls Make Games, the all-girls game dev summer camp
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- PS+ & Stryder
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?