Firefly Online, a social online role-playing game based on cult TV series Firefly, is currently in development and slated to launch on iOS and Android-based smartphones and tablets during the summer of 2014, Fox Digital Entertainment revealed at San Diego Comic Con today.
Developed by QMXi and Spark Plug Games, players take on the role of a captain, who must recruit ship crew and lead missions, while trading with other players. Firefly Online features customizable ships and cross-platform functionality.
"At QMx, we know firsthand how great and powerful a franchise Firefly is and how mighty the Browncoats are," said Andy Gore, CEO of QMXi and Quantum Mechanix Inc. "It has always been our mission to bring the Verse to life for our customers in every way possible. The idea of creating an interactive experience where fans can have their own Firefly adventures — well, that's just too shiny for words."
"We are thrilled to be partnering with QMx on Firefly Online," said Matt McMahon, VP of mobile for Fox Digital Entertainment. "QMx has a long and successful history with Firefly and we couldn't think of a better partner to make a truly innovative game that will stand up in the Verse and to its passionate fans."
Interested parties are invited to preregister on the game's official website to find out more information.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- RIP Friends List?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Highergrounds Game
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?