Firefly Online, a social online role-playing game based on cult TV series Firefly, is currently in development and slated to launch on iOS and Android-based smartphones and tablets during the summer of 2014, Fox Digital Entertainment revealed at San Diego Comic Con today.
Developed by QMXi and Spark Plug Games, players take on the role of a captain, who must recruit ship crew and lead missions, while trading with other players. Firefly Online features customizable ships and cross-platform functionality.
"At QMx, we know firsthand how great and powerful a franchise Firefly is and how mighty the Browncoats are," said Andy Gore, CEO of QMXi and Quantum Mechanix Inc. "It has always been our mission to bring the Verse to life for our customers in every way possible. The idea of creating an interactive experience where fans can have their own Firefly adventures — well, that's just too shiny for words."
"We are thrilled to be partnering with QMx on Firefly Online," said Matt McMahon, VP of mobile for Fox Digital Entertainment. "QMx has a long and successful history with Firefly and we couldn't think of a better partner to make a truly innovative game that will stand up in the Verse and to its passionate fans."
Interested parties are invited to preregister on the game's official website to find out more information.
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: July 12-13
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 14: Beast War-Riors
- Evolution 2014: Fighting Games Tournament
- PS4 Cinavia movie list
- Awesome Cosplay at Anime Expo 2014 [ IMAGE HEAVY]
- RIP Friends List?
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?
- Action Games vs Action Movies
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 11