A new Strider game featuring "Metroidvania"-style gameplay is coming in 2014, Capcom announced at San Diego Comic-Con today.
The new Strider will be a side-scrolling adventure using 3D graphics, feature nonlinear levels and include new upgrades for Strider Hiryu and his signature sword, the Cypher. In gameplay shown at Comic-Con, Strider upgraded his cypher with new skills, like the ability to set his enemies on fire with his sword — and unlock "fire gates" — and the ability to reflect enemy bullets back at them. Hiryu will have access to other weapons, like a sickle for climbing walls and kunai for long distance attacks.
Strider's new upgrade abilities lend the game a "Metroidvania" gameplay style. The game's developers showed a huge world map that players can unlock as Strider Hiryu gains new skills.
Hiryu's signature scarf will not be cloth in the HD sequel. Instead, he'll be outfitted with a "plasma scarf" that changes color depending on the skill he has equipped, turning the flowing accessory into a UI element.
The developer of Strider, Double Helix Games, says it's working closely with the Capcom team in Osaka, including the designer of Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts and the enemy artist on Strider 2, in an effort to retain the franchise's authenticity.
Strider is coming in early 2014 to PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Windows PC through Steam.
In This StoryStream
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?
- Could Nintendo go third party?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall