The makers of virtual reality headset Oculus Rift are looking to future mobile devices as the next possible step in VR compatibility, company CEO Brendan Iribe told Edge.
According to the CEO, game consoles are "not a focus" for the company, with the internal team focusing its interests on the future of mobile and the possibility of plugging the Oculus Rift directly "into a next gen cellphone."
"It's the innovation, and how fast cellphones are now improving," said Iribe. "Where we'll be with the next Galaxy or the next iPhone compared to where consoles are. Those things are almost doubling every year, compared to a console that's just stuck it out for eight years. It just makes us very excited."
Iribe added that the turn-around rate for innovations on mobile devices is compatible with how often VR hardware would potentially need to be improved once it becomes a reality, making mobile devices the ideal companion for VR tech. He also emphasized how competition in the market will help boost the progress and adoption of the technology.
"There'll be other people that end up doing VR, it's not like Oculus is going to be the only VR provider - and I think there is a lot of innovation still to come," he said.
"This is one year in, right? Imagine where we go in the next eight to ten years. It's going to accelerate so quickly, with the resolution, positional tracking, hand tracking - you should be able to be in there and see your hand without any latency in the future, and you should be able to look at other avatars in the game and see mouth tracking without any latency tied to voice."
Oculus Rift is slated to launch next year.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US