Xbox One launch title Forza Motorsport 5 will not require a one-off connection to Xbox Live in order to play it, Turn 10 Studios head Dan Greenawalt clarified with IGN, but the game will require a connection at some point in order to finish the career mode.
""In the beginning of the game, the player will be racing against Drivatars that are contained on the disc and were trained by the [Turn 10 development] team," Greenawalt told IGN. "While playing, the player will be asked to connect to Live in order to download a completely fresh set of player-created Drivatar opponents - it's not a lot of data, but the download contains enough Drivatars to cover all difficulty settings. Connecting will also download new content - but the vast majority of the launch content is contained on the disc.
"This download is simply additional cars and tracks. The gameplay is not blocked while downloading the additional content; it's done in the background just like disc install."
Last week, it was reported that Forza 5 will require a connection to Xbox Live before users can play it. However, the entire game still won't be on the disc and will require users to download the rest from Xbox Live.
We have reached out to Microsoft for further clarification and confirmation about the matter. For more about Forza 5, be sure to read our hands-on preview with the game where we also have a chat with Greenawalt.
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Game contoller for PC
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Is Polygon Live discontinued?