Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 will be the last game in the series from developer MercurySteam, producer Dave Cox told Destructoid at San Diego Comic-Con.
Announced at E3 2012, Lords of Shadow 2 is a sequel that tells the story of Dracula — a character that the studio feels has not been explored enough. While working on the title, however, Cox said that the team never felt like it "owned" Castlevania.
"We always felt it was our responsibility now but it wouldn't be ours forever," Cox said. "Let's do what we're going to do, tell our story and move on.
"So we've told Japan headquarters that this is the last one for us ... there's nothing worse than when somebody's got something to say, and when they've said it, they just keep talking."
Cox added that the team has a "cool ending and a cool story," but once the game is complete, it will be time for someone else to pick up the reins.
"Maybe it will be a young producer in the company looking for his first break," Cox said. "I think you've got to bring in fresh blood."
Earlier today, Konami confirmed that Lords of Shadow 2 will be playable at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany. The game is expected to launch this winter for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Windows PC.
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Gearbox fights back in Aliens suit, says it paid millions of its own cash to finish game
- Watch 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' a second time in Xbox One's new Syfy app