Simone's upcoming comic book will set the stage for events in the video game sequel, with a narrative that takes place shortly after the end of the original reboot.
"We start just a few weeks after the end of the game," said Simone, "and this is all in continuity, it will be Tomb Raider canon, and lead directly into the sequel. This is what got me excited; we get to be part of Lara Croft history."
Polygon spoke with the comic book writer over the weekend following the announcement of the new series of comics which follows Lara after she leaves the familiar island-setting of its video game counterpart. The comic series will launch in February 2014.
"I played the original game and I liked the character she was," Simone told us. "But when I had the chance to play the new game, to see how she dealt with isolation, how she thinks and acts and grows, I was completely in love with her.
Simone said Croft would be "on a mission to find answers to questions she just cannot let go," and that the stories would take her around the globe.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- How Call of Duty: Ghosts' new Chaos Mode perks will level the playing field
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?