Eidos Montreal founder and general manager Stephane D'Astous has resigned from the company as of last Friday, D'Astous told Polygon this morning.
D'Astous said his replacement will be David Anfossi, current Eidos Montreal studio head and producer for Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Deus Ex: The Fall.
In a statement, D'Astous, who helped found the studio in 2007, said he left the company after being unable to reconcile differences between Eidos and Square Enix Europe.
"Since last year's financial short-coming performance of Square Enix Europe, we (HQ London and GM Eidos Montreal) have had growing and divergent opinions on what needed to be done to correct the situation," he said. "The lack of leadership, lack of courage and the lack of communication were so evident, that I wasn't able to conduct my job correctly. I realized that our differences were irreconcilable, and that the best decision was unfortunately to part ways."
Eidos Montreal, which heads Square Enix's Deus Ex franchises, has faced turmoil over the past five years in developing the upcoming Thief reboot, which Polygon reports was mired in corporate politics and stalled by the departure of numerous development team members.
In March, Square Enix reported the company expected to incur "extraordinary loss" for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013, shortly followed by the resignation of CEO Yoichi Wada. In April the company was hit with widespread layoffs as part of a company-wide restructuring, and in May Square Enix North America's CEO and president Mike Fischer stepped down. Last month, Square Enix announced leadership changes across all its subsidiary studios.
Earlier today we spoke with D'Astous, who told us that Square Enix "has some things to learn about how to sell their games."
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- League of Legends World Championship poised to sell out 45K seat stadium
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine