Sins of a Solar Empire publisher Stardock secured the rights to the Star Control franchise with the intention of rebooting the series, the company announced today.
Stardock will begin developing the sci-fi reboot this year, according to Brad Wardell, president and CEO.
"We expect the new Star Control to come in the form of a reboot, similar to what Firaxis did with the XCOM series last year," Wardell said. "We are looking at Star Control 2 as a major source of inspiration."
The process of selling the series' rights began earlier this year when Atari's U.S. division filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. At the time, Atari Inc. and its affiliates announced their intention to sell assets relating to Asteroids, Backyard Sports, Battlezone, Centipede, Humongous, Missile Command, Pong, Tempest and Test Drive. After failing to find a bidder for its full catalog, the company began the process of selling assets individually.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?