Sins of a Solar Empire publisher Stardock secured the rights to the Star Control franchise with the intention of rebooting the series, the company announced today.
Stardock will begin developing the sci-fi reboot this year, according to Brad Wardell, president and CEO.
"We expect the new Star Control to come in the form of a reboot, similar to what Firaxis did with the XCOM series last year," Wardell said. "We are looking at Star Control 2 as a major source of inspiration."
The process of selling the series' rights began earlier this year when Atari's U.S. division filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. At the time, Atari Inc. and its affiliates announced their intention to sell assets relating to Asteroids, Backyard Sports, Battlezone, Centipede, Humongous, Missile Command, Pong, Tempest and Test Drive. After failing to find a bidder for its full catalog, the company began the process of selling assets individually.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- EA offers top games and big discounts for $5 a month
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake