A movie based on PlayStation driving sim franchise Gran Turismo is reportedly in development, according to The Wrap.
Seemingly keen to strike while movies featuring fast cars are box office gold (but films featuring grueling license tests remain untapped), producers Mike De Luca and Dana Brunetti are reportedly overseeing development of the project. The duo's shared credits include Fifty Shades of Grey and The Social Network, with De Luca having fast car movie experience with Drive Angry and two Ghost Rider films.
While details about the film adaptation of Gran Turismo are scant, the development is reported as a reaction to the success of The Fast and the Furious franchise, which movies based on EA's Need for Speed and Mattel's Hot Wheels properties are aiming to replicate.
Other PlayStation franchises in some stage of the movie development process include Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank.
Update: A Sony Computer Entertainment UK representative has confirmed to Joystiq that the movie is "being made," but declined to comment any further on the matter.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Game contoller for PC
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Is Polygon Live discontinued?