A movie based on PlayStation driving sim franchise Gran Turismo is reportedly in development, according to The Wrap.
Seemingly keen to strike while movies featuring fast cars are box office gold (but films featuring grueling license tests remain untapped), producers Mike De Luca and Dana Brunetti are reportedly overseeing development of the project. The duo's shared credits include Fifty Shades of Grey and The Social Network, with De Luca having fast car movie experience with Drive Angry and two Ghost Rider films.
While details about the film adaptation of Gran Turismo are scant, the development is reported as a reaction to the success of The Fast and the Furious franchise, which movies based on EA's Need for Speed and Mattel's Hot Wheels properties are aiming to replicate.
Other PlayStation franchises in some stage of the movie development process include Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank.
Update: A Sony Computer Entertainment UK representative has confirmed to Joystiq that the movie is "being made," but declined to comment any further on the matter.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?