A movie based on PlayStation driving sim franchise Gran Turismo is reportedly in development, according to The Wrap.
Seemingly keen to strike while movies featuring fast cars are box office gold (but films featuring grueling license tests remain untapped), producers Mike De Luca and Dana Brunetti are reportedly overseeing development of the project. The duo's shared credits include Fifty Shades of Grey and The Social Network, with De Luca having fast car movie experience with Drive Angry and two Ghost Rider films.
While details about the film adaptation of Gran Turismo are scant, the development is reported as a reaction to the success of The Fast and the Furious franchise, which movies based on EA's Need for Speed and Mattel's Hot Wheels properties are aiming to replicate.
Other PlayStation franchises in some stage of the movie development process include Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank.
Update: A Sony Computer Entertainment UK representative has confirmed to Joystiq that the movie is "being made," but declined to comment any further on the matter.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)