A movie based on PlayStation driving sim franchise Gran Turismo is reportedly in development, according to The Wrap.
Seemingly keen to strike while movies featuring fast cars are box office gold (but films featuring grueling license tests remain untapped), producers Mike De Luca and Dana Brunetti are reportedly overseeing development of the project. The duo's shared credits include Fifty Shades of Grey and The Social Network, with De Luca having fast car movie experience with Drive Angry and two Ghost Rider films.
While details about the film adaptation of Gran Turismo are scant, the development is reported as a reaction to the success of The Fast and the Furious franchise, which movies based on EA's Need for Speed and Mattel's Hot Wheels properties are aiming to replicate.
Other PlayStation franchises in some stage of the movie development process include Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank.
Update: A Sony Computer Entertainment UK representative has confirmed to Joystiq that the movie is "being made," but declined to comment any further on the matter.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Skylanders launching more powerful premium figures this fall
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- DESTINY disappointment?
- PS4 Beta Codes