Vanillaware's fantasy role-playing game Dragon's Crown was originally designed for the Sega Dreamcast, according to the game's art book.
Siliconera reports that the book, which will be packaged with pre-ordered copies of the game, states the idea for Dragon's Crown was initially conceived by Vanillaware president George Kamitani as early as 1998. At the time, the game was designed with 3D models, a difference from the final version's heavily detailed 2D models.
The book also features concept art for some characters that are not present in the game as it is now, but from which details have been lifted and used in the finalized version. Additionally, the original design for the female warrior was adapted and used in massively multiplayer online title Fantasy Earth Zero, on which Kamitani served as art director. The game was published by Square Enix in Japan in 2006 for Windows PC, and was brought to North America in 2010.
Dragon's Crown will launch on Aug. 6 for PlayStation 3 and Vita with cross-save compatibility. Players who purchase the game at launch will receive a free DLC pack featuring new voices for the six playable characters. The pack will be available for free during the month after launch, after which it will cost $1.99.
- State of Decay's Lifeline DLC is just the start of Undead Labs' 'long-term ambitions'
- See Star Citizen's dogfighting, and more, in action
- AbleGamers Foundation raised more than $33K at PAX East 2014
- Hearthstone Fireside Gatherings will help players meet in the real world April 26
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Easter Monday MMXIV (Mon 21 April)
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC