BioWare concept artist Matt Rhodes has "pulled his pants down" in an artistic sense, as he says in his latest blog post, by sharing a handful of early and unused concept art for the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series.
Rhodes was inspired to share the artwork by friend and Red Dead Redemption concept artist Hethe Srodawa, who shared a number of rejected drawings on his personal blog back in May.
"We can tend to keep our less pretty, less refined work hidden away on our drives but I think it paints a disingenuous image of the roll [sic] of concept artists," Rhodes wrote. "There's a lot more to the job than the few polished portfolio pieces that get released."
Rhodes' treasure trove of art includes early sketches of Mass Effect hero Commander Shepard integrated with Reaper technology, different ideas for Cerberus troops and the Illusive Man as well as a number of drawings of Tali's face. Rhodes noted that the decision to show her face was a long-standing debate among the team and a particularly grueling artistic challenge.
"Tali was like a pen pal, or a friend you've only ever known online," he wrote. "Depending on how attached to her a player was, how well could they handle her appearance challenging their expectations? If she looked a little too alien, just a little too repellant, would they still feel the same way about her? Or did her personality and your history together trump appearances? It's an interesting area to explore and I hope we can find other ways to ask that question."
Rhodes also shared concept art from Dragon Age, posting various costume and city designs, sketches of the Elven mage Merrill and a number of designs that "barely scratch the surface" of the number produced to get the Elf Fenris to look just right.
"Concept art is a strange business," Rhodes wrote. "There's all sorts of odd jobs, rabbit trails, misfires and victories. As I said earlier, you never know how to design a game until it's finished. All we can do is keep running out into the darkness, lighting torches until we find something good."
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Tonight, a nation's favorite game will award a human prize
- NIS America allegedly backtracks out of GaymerX sponsorship
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- Watch The Last of Us: One Night Live right now
- Yes, you can dress up like Link when Monster Hunter 4 comes stateside next year
- How to unlock Thanatophobia, the almost impossible trophy, in Rogue Legacy
- Scientifically Accurate Sonic is everything you never wanted to know about hedgehog poop
More from Polygon
- What's your favorite silly game?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27