Microsoft will take a less restrictive, more iTunes App Store-like approach to publishing games on Xbox One, according to a report from Game Informer, eliminating traditional software certification methods and title update costs.
Developers will reportedly have the option to set their own pricing and release dates, and approvals on software are expected to see a 14-day turnaround. Xbox One retail units can reportedly serve as debug kits, making distribution of development hardware easier than in the previous generation.
In April, Microsoft dropped title update fees for Xbox Live Arcade games on Xbox 360. "We're constantly evaluating our policies and implementing feedback," Microsoft said of the change, adding, "this is just one of many ongoing changes and improvements we've made to ensure Xbox is the best place possible for developers and gamers."
News about Microsoft's plans for self-publishing on Xbox One appears to conflict with earlier messaging from the company, which indicated that software approvals and publishing would follow the model established on Xbox 360.
Update: Microsoft confirmed with Polygon it plans to bring self-publishing to Xbox One and that "every Xbox One can be used for development." Additional details are promised for this year's Gamescom convention in Cologne, Germany.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Skylanders launching more powerful premium figures this fall
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- PS4 Beta Codes