Borderlands 2's upcoming Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2 and subsequent downloadable content will not be included for season pass holders because "that season has ended," Gearbox told Polygon today.
According to Gearbox, the company has "been clear from the beginning" that the Borderlands 2 Season Pass would only include four add-on campaigns. There are no current plans for a second season pass.
"In April we celebrated the success of Borderlands 2 by thanking our most passionate fans, the Season Pass holders, by including the first Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack in the Season Pass," Gearbox said. "We were excited to give Season Pass holders $45 of value instead of the original promise of $40. Through the course of our grand experiment, we've also learned that fans are happy with an a la cart menu for DLC because they can pick and choose the content that they most want to buy and really customize their Borderlands 2 experience."
The developer will continue to release content beyond that original pass because fans have asked for it, Gearbox said. Additional content is expected after the Vault Hunter Upgrade, including additional heads and skin packs.
"They're voting with their wallets — and we are grateful that there are enough of them asking that we can justify the cost of developing the content," Gearbox said.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)