Speaking with the publication, fighting game manager Matt Dahlgren said that Capcom listened to fan feedback and rebalanced its characters accordingly.
"Our philosophy this time around has been to make everybody a threat," Dahlgren said. "We don't want to say these characters are the best in the game and nerf them — that isn't fair to the players that put a lot of time and effort in learning those tactics. The super powerful characters will have slight modifications, but our real intent is to take the lesser used characters and make them an equal threat as the top tier characters."
According to assistant battle director Peter Rosas, one such character was T-Hawk. Players complained that he wasn't fast enough and needed to rely on more than his command throw. Rebalancing the character gave him stronger attacks and more focus cancel options.
"All in an effort to give him a better fighting chance against characters you usually see at the end of a fighting tournament in the top eight," Rosas said.
Ultra Street Fighter 4 was announced earlier this month during the Evo fighting game championships. The expansion adds Elena, Rolento, Poison, Hugo and an unannounced fighter to the game, as well as new stages, modes and more.
The expansion will be available for $14.99 for those who already own Super Street Fighter 4 or Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, or as a standalone package for $39.99. Check out the announcement trailer here.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Rayman creator Michel Ancel leading new indie studio Wild Sheep, will stay at Ubisoft
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30