Speaking with the publication, fighting game manager Matt Dahlgren said that Capcom listened to fan feedback and rebalanced its characters accordingly.
"Our philosophy this time around has been to make everybody a threat," Dahlgren said. "We don't want to say these characters are the best in the game and nerf them — that isn't fair to the players that put a lot of time and effort in learning those tactics. The super powerful characters will have slight modifications, but our real intent is to take the lesser used characters and make them an equal threat as the top tier characters."
According to assistant battle director Peter Rosas, one such character was T-Hawk. Players complained that he wasn't fast enough and needed to rely on more than his command throw. Rebalancing the character gave him stronger attacks and more focus cancel options.
"All in an effort to give him a better fighting chance against characters you usually see at the end of a fighting tournament in the top eight," Rosas said.
Ultra Street Fighter 4 was announced earlier this month during the Evo fighting game championships. The expansion adds Elena, Rolento, Poison, Hugo and an unannounced fighter to the game, as well as new stages, modes and more.
The expansion will be available for $14.99 for those who already own Super Street Fighter 4 or Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, or as a standalone package for $39.99. Check out the announcement trailer here.
- Titanfall review: my buddy
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- How Hohokum's 'inspirational playlist' turned into a soundtrack
- Tower of Guns - Overview video
- Titanfall's achievement lies in allowing the player to find fun in failure
- Pokémon Honedge created by Man at Arms
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 launches April 17
- Ubisoft Toronto is developing five unannounced projects
- Warlords of Draenor launching this fall, digital pre-orders open
- Warner Bros. invests $18M in Machinima
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepared for Titanfall? (Mon 10 Mar)
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- Getting a PS4
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Polygon v1.9 - Article Redesign