The biggest space battle in Eve Online's history took place over the weekend, with over 2,900 ships destroyed over the course of the five-hour-long battle.
This resulted in over 4,000 players simultaneously battling on the single-server MMO, with developers forced to slow down time in-game by 90 percent to make allowances for lag.
The fight, which was streamed live on Twitch.tv, took place in a system known as 6VDT between two of the game's biggest player alliances: TEST Alliance and the CFC. The battle began at roughly 3:54 p.m. ET, lasting until 9:18 p.m. ET last night, with CFC emerging as victors.
"The fleet fight in 6VDT-H tonight is the largest ever in EVE, topping at 4070 pilots (so far). Previous was P-2TTL at 3615. #tweetfleet," wrote the software director of Eve Online on Twitter.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders