At E3 2013, Sony and Ubisoft announced a trio of missions exclusive to the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 versions of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag that feature a playable Aveline de Grandpré, the star of PlayStation Vita game Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation. Today, on its official blog, Ubisoft offered some new details on how that PlayStation-exclusive content will fit in Assassin's Creed 4's pirate setting.
Aveline's three missions, which equal about an hour of content, will take place after the events of Liberation.
"It's a ways forward so Aveline is a bit older," said Black Flag lead writer Darby McDevitt. "It's not directly related to the end of her story. If Assassin's Creed 4 is like a novel, Aveline's missions are like a short story."
Penning that "short story" is Jill Murray, the writer behind Liberation.
Aveline's missions will be a product of Abstergo Entertainment, the in-game corporation that develops entertainment experiences playable on a consumer version of the Animus, which has recovered new genetic memories of the Liberation assassin. For more on the story of Black Flag and its basis in historical fact and fantasy, read our interview with the game's lead writer and historian.
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag will come to PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and Windows PC later this year.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- RIP Friends List?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta