Nintendo posted a return to positive results for the first quarter ended June 30, 2013, despite poor worldwide sales of Wii U hardware, the company said today in its fiscal earnings.
Results in both ordinary and net incomes saw 14.8 billion yen ($150 million) and 8.6 billion yen ($877 million), respectively, for the first quarter ended June 30, 2013. The company reported net sales of 81.5 billion yen ($831 million), where overseas sales contributed to 63.7 percent of that figure, with 51.9 billion yen ($530 million).
Wii U sales still have a "negative impact" on its profits, Nintendo reports. Only 160,000 Wii U units were sold worldwide for the quarter: 90,000 in Japan, 60,000 in North America and 10,000 in Europe and Australia. 1.03 million Wii U games were sold within the three-month period. According to the company, revenue from digital content increased by nearly 150 percent versus the same period last year.
An operating loss of 4.9 billion yen ($500 million) was attributed to greater 3DS promotion overseas to increase sales and research and development for Wii U games.
For the quarter, sales of both 3DS hardware and software saw an increase of 12 percent and 10 percent worldwide, respectively, compared to the same quarter last year. 11 million units of 3DS software and 1.4 million units 3DS hardware were sold globally.
Animal Crossing: New Leaf sold more than 1.54 million units worldwide for the quarter, with 1.19 million of those units sold outside of Japan. Tomodachi Collection moved 1.39 million units in sales. Worldwide unit sales of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon reached 1.43 million units while Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D "has been well received."
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 4 review: existential crisis
- The New Yorker's archives are free - here's a guide to some of its best gaming stories
- Women in the US game industry made 14 percent less than men in 2013, survey says
More from Polygon
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Destiny Beta
- I just want a gritty mature MOBA