Given how little Electronic Arts and Battlefield developer DICE showed of Star Wars: Battlefront at E3 2013, a release date far, far away for the Star Wars-themed shooter shouldn't come as a surprise. At EA's annual meeting of stockholders today, chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen offered a clearer window for Battlefront's release, pegging summer 2015 for launch.
Jorgensen was noncommittal in his estimate, saying DICE's Battlefront "will most likely come out around the same time that the Star Wars [sequel] movies start to come out, probably in the summer of '15." Star Wars Episode VII, the first of a new film trilogy directed by JJ Abrams, is set for release in 2015.
Previously, EA said it wasn't planning on releasing new Star Wars games prior to April 1, 2014, the start of its next fiscal year. Electronic Arts inked a deal with Disney in May to secure exclusive video game rights to the Star Wars franchise, which Disney acquired from Lucasfilm in Oct. 2012.
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends