Given how little Electronic Arts and Battlefield developer DICE showed of Star Wars: Battlefront at E3 2013, a release date far, far away for the Star Wars-themed shooter shouldn't come as a surprise. At EA's annual meeting of stockholders today, chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen offered a clearer window for Battlefront's release, pegging summer 2015 for launch.
Jorgensen was noncommittal in his estimate, saying DICE's Battlefront "will most likely come out around the same time that the Star Wars [sequel] movies start to come out, probably in the summer of '15." Star Wars Episode VII, the first of a new film trilogy directed by JJ Abrams, is set for release in 2015.
Previously, EA said it wasn't planning on releasing new Star Wars games prior to April 1, 2014, the start of its next fiscal year. Electronic Arts inked a deal with Disney in May to secure exclusive video game rights to the Star Wars franchise, which Disney acquired from Lucasfilm in Oct. 2012.
- Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode screens go from brutal to kawaii
- GOG.com accidentally gives away thousands of games
- Battlefield Hardline's singleplayer tells the story of a good cop framed
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- How cows predicted the seedy underbelly of social gaming
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Tell Us Your Story
- A New Steam Controller