According to CVG, Microsoft is planning a full press conference at Gamescom in August, a step the company hasn't taken since 2005.
The report cites unnamed sources and says that "organizers and third party" studios have been notified of the plans for an hour-long conference based on Xbox One. While the likes of Sony and EA are regular hosts of conferences at Gamescom, Microsoft has not staged a large public-facing event there since the announcement of Xbox 360's launch price back in 2005.
Microsoft skipped last year's annual event in Cologne, Germany, but has announced plans to be at the show, which takes place August 21-25. In May, Xbox EMEA social marketing manager Graeme Boyd tweeted, "Xbox will be back at Gamescom this August. Next chapter of Xbox gaming experiences on show."
At E3 last month, Microsoft was widely deemed to have been outshone by rival Sony's showing of PlayStation 4. Gamescom may be seen as a good opportunity for the company to gain lost ground and to reiterate its new stance on DRM.
Microsoft in the U.K. released a statement to CVG. "We're excited to be back at Gamescom this year but we're not announcing any further details on our plans at this time. Please stay tuned for more details." Polygon has contacted Microsoft in the U.S. for comment.
Update: An earlier version of this story stated that Microsoft had never staged a press conference at Gamescom. In fact, the company did so in 2005. Thanks to Major Nelson for pointing this out.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Rayman creator Michel Ancel leading new indie studio Wild Sheep, will stay at Ubisoft
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30