According to CVG, Microsoft is planning a full press conference at Gamescom in August, a step the company hasn't taken since 2005.
The report cites unnamed sources and says that "organizers and third party" studios have been notified of the plans for an hour-long conference based on Xbox One. While the likes of Sony and EA are regular hosts of conferences at Gamescom, Microsoft has not staged a large public-facing event there since the announcement of Xbox 360's launch price back in 2005.
Microsoft skipped last year's annual event in Cologne, Germany, but has announced plans to be at the show, which takes place August 21-25. In May, Xbox EMEA social marketing manager Graeme Boyd tweeted, "Xbox will be back at Gamescom this August. Next chapter of Xbox gaming experiences on show."
At E3 last month, Microsoft was widely deemed to have been outshone by rival Sony's showing of PlayStation 4. Gamescom may be seen as a good opportunity for the company to gain lost ground and to reiterate its new stance on DRM.
Microsoft in the U.K. released a statement to CVG. "We're excited to be back at Gamescom this year but we're not announcing any further details on our plans at this time. Please stay tuned for more details." Polygon has contacted Microsoft in the U.S. for comment.
Update: An earlier version of this story stated that Microsoft had never staged a press conference at Gamescom. In fact, the company did so in 2005. Thanks to Major Nelson for pointing this out.
- Titanfall review: my buddy
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- BioShock Infinite Elizabeth Noir statue can be pre-ordered for $250
- Tower of Guns - Overview video
- Titanfall's achievement lies in allowing the player to find fun in failure
- How Hohokum's 'inspirational playlist' turned into a soundtrack
- Pokémon Honedge created by Man at Arms
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 launches April 17
- Ubisoft Toronto is developing five unannounced projects
- Warlords of Draenor launching this fall, digital pre-orders open
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepared for Titanfall? (Mon 10 Mar)
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Getting a PS4
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Polygon v1.9 - Article Redesign