In the months leading up to the unveiling of both Xbox One and PlayStation 4, there was much speculation about whether one or both companies would instigate DRM systems designed to inhibit used game sales.
Microsoft did announce plans that would have disrupted the current model of game-ownership and resale, only to backtrack after E3, following widespread dismay at the notion. Sony avoided the issue at its first reveal of PlayStation 4 back in February, but made much of the lack of any plans of an Xbox One-style lock-out during its E3 conference.
According to Andrew House, president and CEO of the worldwide PlayStation business, such a move was never even considered.
"Dating from about our February event, there had been questions about what our online policy would be," he said, in an interview with The Guardian. "And I have to say that we were slightly perplexed, because we had no intention of changing from a model that I think has served us really well for several platform life-cycles."
At its February event Sony did not fully understand what Microsoft had planned, details of which did not emerge until the Xbox One unveiling in May. "Of course, it was really the actions of others, and the reaction coming from consumers, which led to more speculation," added House. "So we felt that with E3, it was a really good opportunity to set the record straight. But there weren't any changes that we'd been considering."
- We play Titanfall, TowerFall and Dark Souls 2 in this week's Polygon Live
- Dark Souls 2 - Overview video
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 wants to be the simple, fast-paced game you remember
- Dark Souls 2: tips for beginners and returning masochists
- Mercenary Kings hits PS4 April 1
- Why you don't want an online mode in TowerFall
- Candy Crush creator estimates its IPO could value the company at $7 billion
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- Ubisoft vet launching 'hardcore platformer' Cubit on EU 3DS eShop
- What do we like (and not like) about Dark Souls 2?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Robot Mode (Wed 12 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Towerfall Diamond League
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Need your help fellow Polynauts regarding my thesis study!!!
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- Video frame issues - It can't just be me
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC