Polytron released Fez on Xbox Live Arcade on April 13, 2012. The developer later rolled out a patch to fix bugs in the game which ended up corrupting some save files. It was pulled by Microsoft and Fish decided to leave it as is, stating that the recertification fees deemed it too expensive to fix.
Following recent discussions in the community about Microsoft's relationship with indie developers, the company confirmed to Polygon late last month that the requirement of developers paying a fee to patch Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade games was scrapped back in April.
Developers sounded off after Xbox One's reveal when Microsoft announced that it will not allow game developers to self-publish the next-generation console. A couple of weeks later, Microsoft then revealed a partnership with Unity to provide free tools for developers signed by Microsoft Game Studios to create games for Xbox One. According to the announcement, Unity will develop new tools to support Xbox One, such as features like multiplayer matchmaking, SmartGlass, Kinect gesture recognition and Microsoft's Azure cloud technology.
Last week, Fish criticized Fez's co-publishing partner Microsoft for doing "nothing" to help sell his game on the platform and recently told Polygon that he would not be making Fez 2 for Xbox One. Polygon reached out to Fish for comment about the impending patch and will update as more information becomes available.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- Report: R.B.I. Baseball 14 to launch on April 10
- Prepare to run Dark Souls 2 with the PC version's system requirements
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- The Besties: The Best Games of February 2014
- Hack into Nedry's Jurassic Park security system
- Goofball Goals - Overview video
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- XBOne Classifieds
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules