Polytron released Fez on Xbox Live Arcade on April 13, 2012. The developer later rolled out a patch to fix bugs in the game which ended up corrupting some save files. It was pulled by Microsoft and Fish decided to leave it as is, stating that the recertification fees deemed it too expensive to fix.
Following recent discussions in the community about Microsoft's relationship with indie developers, the company confirmed to Polygon late last month that the requirement of developers paying a fee to patch Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade games was scrapped back in April.
Developers sounded off after Xbox One's reveal when Microsoft announced that it will not allow game developers to self-publish the next-generation console. A couple of weeks later, Microsoft then revealed a partnership with Unity to provide free tools for developers signed by Microsoft Game Studios to create games for Xbox One. According to the announcement, Unity will develop new tools to support Xbox One, such as features like multiplayer matchmaking, SmartGlass, Kinect gesture recognition and Microsoft's Azure cloud technology.
Last week, Fish criticized Fez's co-publishing partner Microsoft for doing "nothing" to help sell his game on the platform and recently told Polygon that he would not be making Fez 2 for Xbox One. Polygon reached out to Fish for comment about the impending patch and will update as more information becomes available.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dungeons & Dragons castle defense game coming to mobile next year
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- People watched Twitch Plays Pokémon for a billion minutes
- In Firewatch, the job isn't to keep the wilderness from burning down
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Tearaway started life as a fleshy finger game
- Longtime Castlevania producer leaves Konami
- Grand Theft Auto 5's PC version will get an updated soundtrack
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Help Nipah build a PC
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments