Polytron released Fez on Xbox Live Arcade on April 13, 2012. The developer later rolled out a patch to fix bugs in the game which ended up corrupting some save files. It was pulled by Microsoft and Fish decided to leave it as is, stating that the recertification fees deemed it too expensive to fix.
Following recent discussions in the community about Microsoft's relationship with indie developers, the company confirmed to Polygon late last month that the requirement of developers paying a fee to patch Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade games was scrapped back in April.
Developers sounded off after Xbox One's reveal when Microsoft announced that it will not allow game developers to self-publish the next-generation console. A couple of weeks later, Microsoft then revealed a partnership with Unity to provide free tools for developers signed by Microsoft Game Studios to create games for Xbox One. According to the announcement, Unity will develop new tools to support Xbox One, such as features like multiplayer matchmaking, SmartGlass, Kinect gesture recognition and Microsoft's Azure cloud technology.
Last week, Fish criticized Fez's co-publishing partner Microsoft for doing "nothing" to help sell his game on the platform and recently told Polygon that he would not be making Fez 2 for Xbox One. Polygon reached out to Fish for comment about the impending patch and will update as more information becomes available.
- Toys for Bob and the story behind Skylanders
- Tales from inside the Diversity Lounge: PAX's half-baked experiment
- Bungie fires Halo composer Martin O'Donnell (update)
- Starbound studio is helping to bring metroidvania RPG Heart Forth, Alicia to new platforms
- Trials Fusion review: back to the future
- Official Disney Fan Club site hints at Disney Infinity 2.0 launch this August
- PS4 update 1.70 coming soon, introduces video editor app, USB saves, game pre-loading
- Wolfenstein: The New Order pre-orders open on Steam, includes TF2 armor and hat
- A eulogy for World of Darkness, written by (and for) a White Wolf fan
- Sweden wants to use games to promote democracy and creativity
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- The best song in a video game?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!