Wargaming.net has removed the Rising Sun flag of Imperial Japan from its MMO World of Warships after its South Korean audience spoke out against its use, reports The Korea Herald.
The lastest trailer for World of Warships shows the flag amidst scenes of dogfighting and airborne firepower. The Rising Sun is the official insignia of the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force, but due to its use in World War 2 is still widely considered in Southeast Asia to be offensive and carries associations of Japanese militarism and imperialism.
A group of Korean gamers who were uncomfortable with the flag's presence in World of Warships launched a campaign for its removal, collecting around 40,000 signatures from users for their petition. Shortly after, a Wargaming.net community manager took to the game's official forums to announce the developer would be removing the flag.
"We will be removing the Rising Sun flag from the game in the future," reads the post. "There has been quite a bit of discussion recently regarding this sensitive topic and I hope this clears some of the confusion."
Update: A previous version of this article stated the controversy was linked to World of Warplanes. The Rising Sun flag is actually used in World of Warships, and the article has been corrected to reflect this.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Kickstarter suspends Ex-STALKER devs' Areal campaign, West Games turns to direct funding
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- A game inspired by psone graphics
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Destiny Beta