When Shigeru Miyamoto and producer Eiji Aunoma took a look at GameCube classic The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker on Wii U, they were immediately convinced that the game needed to be updated for Nintendo's newest console.
Speaking to GameInformer, Miyamoto said that the game's cel-shaded graphics would look gorgeous in updated high definition. "When we brought the cartoon shading of the original Wind Waker over and were testing it on Wii U to take a look at it, we really felt that, visually, it brought the game to life in ways that just weren't there on the GameCube," he said. "Particularly with the way that you see the air and the wind in the game as you play with that. It really breathed new life into the project and we wanted to show that to the viewers."
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, due to be released in October, makes use of the Wii U's second screen and tweaks gameplay elements from the original, as well as offering significantly sharper visual detail.
"We've actually made a number of different improvements. I think the previous game, the length and the player pacing of it was something we thought we could improve on," he said. "For example, this time we've added an additional sail, that allows the boat to travel faster this time than it did in the original GameCube game. And when you're dropping your crane down in the ocean to hunt for sunken treasure, the length of the chain on the crane is shorter so you spend less time on that. So it basically helps to speed up the gameplay a little bit. So the pacing has really been improved upon."
- We play Titanfall, TowerFall and Dark Souls 2 in this week's Polygon Live
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 wants to be the simple, fast-paced game you remember
- Dark Souls 2: tips for beginners and returning masochists
- South Park: The Stick of Truth let me do everything but be myself, and that's a bummer
- Battlefield 4's Naval Strike DLC includes dynamic weather, sunrises and a hovercraft
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Robot Mode (Wed 12 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Need your help fellow Polynauts regarding my thesis study!!!
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Video frame issues - It can't just be me
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- Towerfall Diamond League
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC