When Shigeru Miyamoto and producer Eiji Aunoma took a look at GameCube classic The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker on Wii U, they were immediately convinced that the game needed to be updated for Nintendo's newest console.
Speaking to GameInformer, Miyamoto said that the game's cel-shaded graphics would look gorgeous in updated high definition. "When we brought the cartoon shading of the original Wind Waker over and were testing it on Wii U to take a look at it, we really felt that, visually, it brought the game to life in ways that just weren't there on the GameCube," he said. "Particularly with the way that you see the air and the wind in the game as you play with that. It really breathed new life into the project and we wanted to show that to the viewers."
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, due to be released in October, makes use of the Wii U's second screen and tweaks gameplay elements from the original, as well as offering significantly sharper visual detail.
"We've actually made a number of different improvements. I think the previous game, the length and the player pacing of it was something we thought we could improve on," he said. "For example, this time we've added an additional sail, that allows the boat to travel faster this time than it did in the original GameCube game. And when you're dropping your crane down in the ocean to hunt for sunken treasure, the length of the chain on the crane is shorter so you spend less time on that. So it basically helps to speed up the gameplay a little bit. So the pacing has really been improved upon."
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Guild Wars' nine year anniversary festivities kick off April 22
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Post Your Rig!
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II