The quality of graphics on mobile devices will eventually be on par with current generation consoles as technology evolves, according to EA Labels president Frank Gibeau.
Speaking with IGN, Gibeau said "near future" tablets and smartphones will be developed with visual capabilities similar to that of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
"In the near future, the next wave of tablets and phones will have nearly Xbox 360 or PS3 capabilities in terms of graphics," Gibeau said. "Some of our engine technology that used to be console-specific now can, with modifications, be able to power games on tablets and on phones in the near future. We're just getting ready for that."
Gibeau said that making the jump won't mean more tablet ports, however, but will rather necessitate new versions of games specifically developed for mobile devices.
"You have to redesign the game," he said. "You can't just bring it over and have a virtual D-pad on the tablet. It doesn't work. You have to re-architect it around touch, voice, camera."
In May, EA announced Frostbite Go, a mobile version of its Frosbite engine designed for use with iOS and Android.
"Our teams are having a lot of fun with that, reimagining an experience on a tablet using the same graphics and assets in some ways, but completely remixing the meal," he added, referencing EA's work with Frostbite Go. "Same ingredients, completely different meal. That's kind of the way we think about it."
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- Dota 2 team Newbee just won The International 4 — along with the largest eSports prize pool in history
- Your first look at Agent Locke in Ridley Scott's Halo: Nightfall
- I'm reviewing every FMV game because I'm broken inside
- Quit Twitter before you're hard, quit Instagram before you're soft
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Destiny Beta
- I just want a gritty mature MOBA
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon YouTube Channel
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 14: Beast War-riors (part 2)