Sony's upcoming DualShock 4 controller for PlayStation 4 is not designed with a switch to turn off the light bar situated at the top of the controller, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida confirmed on Twitter.
The light bar is designed to be used with the PlayStation Eye camera and helps in the detection of motion control, similar to Move controllers. It can be used by developers for new purposes altogether, like as a health bar in Killzone: Shadow Fall.
In response to a question on Twitter of whether the light bar can be deactivated to conserve the controller's battery, Yoshida simply wrote "no."
We have contacted Sony for comment and will update with additional information.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Destiny Beta
- I just want a gritty mature MOBA
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon YouTube Channel
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Standby Or Off On PS4