Sony's upcoming DualShock 4 controller for PlayStation 4 is not designed with a switch to turn off the light bar situated at the top of the controller, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida confirmed on Twitter.
The light bar is designed to be used with the PlayStation Eye camera and helps in the detection of motion control, similar to Move controllers. It can be used by developers for new purposes altogether, like as a health bar in Killzone: Shadow Fall.
In response to a question on Twitter of whether the light bar can be deactivated to conserve the controller's battery, Yoshida simply wrote "no."
We have contacted Sony for comment and will update with additional information.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???