Sony's upcoming DualShock 4 controller for PlayStation 4 is not designed with a switch to turn off the light bar situated at the top of the controller, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida confirmed on Twitter.
The light bar is designed to be used with the PlayStation Eye camera and helps in the detection of motion control, similar to Move controllers. It can be used by developers for new purposes altogether, like as a health bar in Killzone: Shadow Fall.
In response to a question on Twitter of whether the light bar can be deactivated to conserve the controller's battery, Yoshida simply wrote "no."
We have contacted Sony for comment and will update with additional information.
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- The controller: will it get fixed?
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- Upgrade ps4 to 7200rpm?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- What Game Currently Keeps You Coming Back For More?