Sony's upcoming DualShock 4 controller for PlayStation 4 is not designed with a switch to turn off the light bar situated at the top of the controller, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida confirmed on Twitter.
The light bar is designed to be used with the PlayStation Eye camera and helps in the detection of motion control, similar to Move controllers. It can be used by developers for new purposes altogether, like as a health bar in Killzone: Shadow Fall.
In response to a question on Twitter of whether the light bar can be deactivated to conserve the controller's battery, Yoshida simply wrote "no."
We have contacted Sony for comment and will update with additional information.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Contest Resumes: Infamous: Second Son - Win a statue of Delsin Rowe
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Where's Polygon? (Tue 15 Apr)
- The Secret Ending (spoilers)
- The best song in a video game?
- Gamertag Hook-Ups
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)