Ryan Davis, former GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb, died on July 3. He was 34.
Davis' death was reported by Giant Bomb, where Davis served as editor since the site's inception in 2008. The cause of death was not given.
Born June 4, 1979, Davis started at GameSpot in 2000 and spent eight years there, writing game reviews and co-hosting video shows such as Time Trotters and On the Spot. He left the site in late 2007 and founded Giant Bomb with former GameSpot colleague Jeff Gerstmann the following year.
At Giant Bomb, Davis hosted the Giant Bombcast, one of the web's most consistently popular video game podcasts. He also led the site's regular panels at PAX Prime and PAX East, which tended to be standing-room-only affairs. Davis and the Giant Bomb team rejoined their former colleagues at GameSpot in March 2012 when that site's parent company, CBS Interactive, acquired Giant Bomb.
"Ryan was a good friend to all of us," said Giant Bomb's Matthew Rorie in an obituary posted to the site this afternoon. "It's odd to remember that, for someone who could be so acerbic at times, and despite knowing him for almost a decade, I honestly don't recall ever actually being mad at him."
Davis had recently gotten married, at the end of June.
"In the face of this awfulness, many of us will at least always remember him as we last saw him: outrageously, uproariously happy, looking forward to his next adventure with the biggest grin his face could hold," added Rorie.
Many of us at Polygon knew Davis, and we'd all like to send our most sincere condolences to his friends and family, as well as the entire Giant Bomb community.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- RIP Friends List?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta