Ryan Davis, former GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb, died on July 3. He was 34.
Davis' death was reported by Giant Bomb, where Davis served as editor since the site's inception in 2008. The cause of death was not given.
Born June 4, 1979, Davis started at GameSpot in 2000 and spent eight years there, writing game reviews and co-hosting video shows such as Time Trotters and On the Spot. He left the site in late 2007 and founded Giant Bomb with former GameSpot colleague Jeff Gerstmann the following year.
At Giant Bomb, Davis hosted the Giant Bombcast, one of the web's most consistently popular video game podcasts. He also led the site's regular panels at PAX Prime and PAX East, which tended to be standing-room-only affairs. Davis and the Giant Bomb team rejoined their former colleagues at GameSpot in March 2012 when that site's parent company, CBS Interactive, acquired Giant Bomb.
"Ryan was a good friend to all of us," said Giant Bomb's Matthew Rorie in an obituary posted to the site this afternoon. "It's odd to remember that, for someone who could be so acerbic at times, and despite knowing him for almost a decade, I honestly don't recall ever actually being mad at him."
Davis had recently gotten married, at the end of June.
"In the face of this awfulness, many of us will at least always remember him as we last saw him: outrageously, uproariously happy, looking forward to his next adventure with the biggest grin his face could hold," added Rorie.
Many of us at Polygon knew Davis, and we'd all like to send our most sincere condolences to his friends and family, as well as the entire Giant Bomb community.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Two Ubisoft developers watched a goat sacrifice while researching Far Cry 4
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- DESTINY disappointment?
- PS4 Beta Codes