Ryan Davis, former GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb, died on July 3. He was 34.
Davis' death was reported by Giant Bomb, where Davis served as editor since the site's inception in 2008. The cause of death was not given.
Born June 4, 1979, Davis started at GameSpot in 2000 and spent eight years there, writing game reviews and co-hosting video shows such as Time Trotters and On the Spot. He left the site in late 2007 and founded Giant Bomb with former GameSpot colleague Jeff Gerstmann the following year.
At Giant Bomb, Davis hosted the Giant Bombcast, one of the web's most consistently popular video game podcasts. He also led the site's regular panels at PAX Prime and PAX East, which tended to be standing-room-only affairs. Davis and the Giant Bomb team rejoined their former colleagues at GameSpot in March 2012 when that site's parent company, CBS Interactive, acquired Giant Bomb.
"Ryan was a good friend to all of us," said Giant Bomb's Matthew Rorie in an obituary posted to the site this afternoon. "It's odd to remember that, for someone who could be so acerbic at times, and despite knowing him for almost a decade, I honestly don't recall ever actually being mad at him."
Davis had recently gotten married, at the end of June.
"In the face of this awfulness, many of us will at least always remember him as we last saw him: outrageously, uproariously happy, looking forward to his next adventure with the biggest grin his face could hold," added Rorie.
Many of us at Polygon knew Davis, and we'd all like to send our most sincere condolences to his friends and family, as well as the entire Giant Bomb community.
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- With Han Solo, Leia and Chewie, Star Wars Commander is bringing back the force
- Wii U game pre-orders see the largest increase during Gamescom, says Amazon UK
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?