SourceRuns, a Valve-centric speedrunner group, set a new world record with its latest run of Half-Life 2 by clocking in at one hour, 27 minutes and 51 seconds.
The run was completed with the help of 14 members and several of the game's well-known glitches. Using the accelerated back hopping glitch, players can speed up their movement in air and gain a frictional boost upon landing. Other tricks include wall-climbing, flying and an "edgebug" glitch that allows players to fall long heights without taking damage.
You can check out the video above to see the run for yourself. According to the video description, the run required 600 days of work and was completed on the Hard difficulty setting in 200 segments.
A full list of the speedrun-friendly in-game glitches is available on the SourceRuns wiki page. SourceRuns currently holds the speedrun record for Portal and Dear Esther.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?