SourceRuns, a Valve-centric speedrunner group, set a new world record with its latest run of Half-Life 2 by clocking in at one hour, 27 minutes and 51 seconds.
The run was completed with the help of 14 members and several of the game's well-known glitches. Using the accelerated back hopping glitch, players can speed up their movement in air and gain a frictional boost upon landing. Other tricks include wall-climbing, flying and an "edgebug" glitch that allows players to fall long heights without taking damage.
You can check out the video above to see the run for yourself. According to the video description, the run required 600 days of work and was completed on the Hard difficulty setting in 200 segments.
A full list of the speedrun-friendly in-game glitches is available on the SourceRuns wiki page. SourceRuns currently holds the speedrun record for Portal and Dear Esther.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)