When Polytron co-founder Phil Fish canceled Fez 2 and quit the industry this past weekend, the announcement surprised Marie-Christine Bourdua, a producer at the studio, just as much as everyone else, reports Joystiq.
Bourdua, who said she wasn't in Montreal — the home of Polytron — when Fish made the announcement on Twitter, was "kind of in shock about [Fez 2] over the weekend," she told Joystiq at Torontaru July, a new meetup in Toronto for game developers and fans.
"But it's OK," she added. "It was weird and special to learn it that way, but I respect and trust Phil a lot, so that's totally fair that he decided that and he has his reasons."
He added, "The development of Fez 2 is up to [Fish]. If he decided [to cancel it] now or he decided it at the end of development, it's easier to cut it out now, than it is to say, 'Hey, we've been working on this for years and I'm not feeling able to finish it.' So in that way it just makes more sense."
According to a tweet from Polytron sent on July 29, the studio "isn't going anywhere," and Bordua said that Mac and Linux ports of Fez are in development. She added that the company is "working with Sony," although there's no confirmation at this point of PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Vita versions of the game.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Here is why you probably won't get into the LittleBigPlanet 3 private beta this August
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- PS4 Beta Codes