Blizzard Entertainment will discuss its Diablo franchise during Gamescom 2013, the company confirmed during Activision Blizzard's investor call for its second-quarter fiscal report.
"We'll be sharing more Diablo-related news at Gamescom later this month," said Mike Morhaime, Blizzard president and co-founder.
Blizzard announced yesterday that it will host a press briefing Aug. 21, the first day of the convention, to make "a special announcement that's sure to capture the attention of the Heavens, Burning Hells and all the shadowed places that lie between."
The exact nature of the announcement is unclear, but it could be an expansion to Diablo 3. Blizzard released the loot-driven game last spring on Windows PC and Mac; the studio will launch it Sept. 3 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and in 2014 on PlayStation 4. Morhaime said last fall that Blizzard plans to release a Diablo 3 expansion at some point, but that there was no schedule in place at the time.
Polygon will be on hand at Gamescom to bring you all the news from the show.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- Russian and German armor clash in Combat Mission: Red Thunder
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- 'The Players' Score: A Videogame Music Documentary' is headed to Kickstarter with composers you'll recognize
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort