StarCraft Universe, the Blizzard-sanctioned StarCraft 2 mod that turns the real-time strategy title in a massively multiplayer online game, has turned to Kickstarter for development funding.
The mod, which has been in development for two years and will be released through Battle.net, takes place 11 years after the end of StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty. Developer Upheaval Arts is looking for $80,000 to finish the game's first act and get it into public beta. The first act will include two playable races, the Terran and Protoss, with the ability to play as Zerg a possible stretch goal.
Upheaval Arts notes that while Blizzard is not affiliated with the production of StarCraft Universe, the company has given the project its blessing.
"While Blizzard is not directly affiliated with this project's production, we do communicate with them to submit bug reports and make technical request," reads the post. "They have given their blessing/permission for us to launch this Kickstarter, and they are supporting our efforts by featuring SCU as an Arcade Highlight."
According to the Kickstarter page, funding will be used to expand the team, gain the resources to polish the mod and get it into players' hands "faster, better and sexier."
StarCraft Universe follows the "Utter Darkness" scenario and depicts a world in which Kerrigan dies and the remaining survivors struggle in the face of a hybrid onslaught. Players will need a copy of StarCraft 2 and access to Battle.net to play the free-to-play mod. The prologue was released through Battle.net in February.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- How Call of Duty: Ghosts' new Chaos Mode perks will level the playing field
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Changing Posting Name
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Twitch Stream: Titanfall (One Match)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant