StarCraft Universe, the Blizzard-sanctioned StarCraft 2 mod that turns the real-time strategy title in a massively multiplayer online game, has turned to Kickstarter for development funding.
The mod, which has been in development for two years and will be released through Battle.net, takes place 11 years after the end of StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty. Developer Upheaval Arts is looking for $80,000 to finish the game's first act and get it into public beta. The first act will include two playable races, the Terran and Protoss, with the ability to play as Zerg a possible stretch goal.
Upheaval Arts notes that while Blizzard is not affiliated with the production of StarCraft Universe, the company has given the project its blessing.
"While Blizzard is not directly affiliated with this project's production, we do communicate with them to submit bug reports and make technical request," reads the post. "They have given their blessing/permission for us to launch this Kickstarter, and they are supporting our efforts by featuring SCU as an Arcade Highlight."
According to the Kickstarter page, funding will be used to expand the team, gain the resources to polish the mod and get it into players' hands "faster, better and sexier."
StarCraft Universe follows the "Utter Darkness" scenario and depicts a world in which Kerrigan dies and the remaining survivors struggle in the face of a hybrid onslaught. Players will need a copy of StarCraft 2 and access to Battle.net to play the free-to-play mod. The prologue was released through Battle.net in February.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- RIP Friends List?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Highergrounds Game
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?