Morrigan will still, however, have a role in the game.
"It is fair for people to understand that [Morrigan] will not be a party member. That's going to disappoint some people," Dragon Age boss Mike Laidlaw told GameInformer, "but it's important for us to be upfront about that."
According to writer David Gaider, Morrigan won't have a simple cameo in the new title. "She plays a significant role," he said, adding that she will take on a human role in this plot "which may surprise some people because they might only think of her as a plot device.
"She has this big plot she's involved in, and while that's true to an extent, I'm taking her to a human place. That will make sense after the fact."
Dragon Age: Inquisition is slated to arrive in fall 2014 for both current and next-gen consoles as well as Windows PC.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Skylanders launching more powerful premium figures this fall
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- PS4 Beta Codes