Beau Guthery explains that the game does not censor the world "Jesus" or the names of other gods and that Riot is therefore "blocking Satanists' right to freedom of religion by preventing them from using the name Satan." In the text accompanying the petition, Guthery writes that posts to the League of Legends support team on the open forums are blocked if the word is used.
The petition, which has 209 supporters as of this writing, addresses Riot CEO Brandon Beck:
Please unfilter the word "Satan" from the game "League Of Legends." Let Satanists and others who would like to freely use that name be given that ability. We who sign this petition just want to be treated equally. Your own forum mods and employees say that you listen to the community of game players. Here we are, asking for you to make a small change in the game that would respond to our wishes and give us equality with players who already can select the god of their choice.
We've contacted Riot for comment and will update this article with more information as we receive it.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- More Dragon Quest games heading to mobile, including the original, very soon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- how do i cross save olliolli from Vita to ps4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- On Being A "Gamer"