Beau Guthery explains that the game does not censor the world "Jesus" or the names of other gods and that Riot is therefore "blocking Satanists' right to freedom of religion by preventing them from using the name Satan." In the text accompanying the petition, Guthery writes that posts to the League of Legends support team on the open forums are blocked if the word is used.
The petition, which has 209 supporters as of this writing, addresses Riot CEO Brandon Beck:
Please unfilter the word "Satan" from the game "League Of Legends." Let Satanists and others who would like to freely use that name be given that ability. We who sign this petition just want to be treated equally. Your own forum mods and employees say that you listen to the community of game players. Here we are, asking for you to make a small change in the game that would respond to our wishes and give us equality with players who already can select the god of their choice.
We've contacted Riot for comment and will update this article with more information as we receive it.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepared for Titanfall? (Mon 10 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Which wiki?
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Getting a PS4
- Polygon v1.9 - Article Redesign
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US