Beau Guthery explains that the game does not censor the world "Jesus" or the names of other gods and that Riot is therefore "blocking Satanists' right to freedom of religion by preventing them from using the name Satan." In the text accompanying the petition, Guthery writes that posts to the League of Legends support team on the open forums are blocked if the word is used.
The petition, which has 209 supporters as of this writing, addresses Riot CEO Brandon Beck:
Please unfilter the word "Satan" from the game "League Of Legends." Let Satanists and others who would like to freely use that name be given that ability. We who sign this petition just want to be treated equally. Your own forum mods and employees say that you listen to the community of game players. Here we are, asking for you to make a small change in the game that would respond to our wishes and give us equality with players who already can select the god of their choice.
We've contacted Riot for comment and will update this article with more information as we receive it.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- The best song in a video game?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Gamertag Hook-Ups
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition