Beau Guthery explains that the game does not censor the world "Jesus" or the names of other gods and that Riot is therefore "blocking Satanists' right to freedom of religion by preventing them from using the name Satan." In the text accompanying the petition, Guthery writes that posts to the League of Legends support team on the open forums are blocked if the word is used.
The petition, which has 209 supporters as of this writing, addresses Riot CEO Brandon Beck:
Please unfilter the word "Satan" from the game "League Of Legends." Let Satanists and others who would like to freely use that name be given that ability. We who sign this petition just want to be treated equally. Your own forum mods and employees say that you listen to the community of game players. Here we are, asking for you to make a small change in the game that would respond to our wishes and give us equality with players who already can select the god of their choice.
We've contacted Riot for comment and will update this article with more information as we receive it.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- You can pre-order this beautiful $365 Metroid statue starting today
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- RIP Friends List?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming