Although a sequel to Dishonored has yet to be officially announced, Bethesda's statement that the game has exceeded sales expectations and reached franchise status is as good as a confirmation. So what can we expect from a follow-up to one of last year's best titles?
Arkane's co-creative director Raphael Colantonio believes next gen systems offer plenty of opportunity for exploration, as well as the possibility of some form of multiplayer options in the stealth adventure.
"The next generation is mostly going to be about memory," he said, in an interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun. "More memory means more entities, more density, more AI with more variations in their animations, bigger levels with less loading.
"But the values we hold will remain the same. It's all about interactivity and choices, consequences to your choices, many ways to do things, exploration, verticality, and all kinds of player tools. The more kinds of tools we can give to the player in a very simulated environment, the better the experience is."
Colantonio said that the team "might be interested by multiplayer," but warned that it would "not necessarily be the traditional multiplayer approach." He added, "Primarily, we are storytellers. That's the part we like." He said that players progressing at their own pace is at the heart of Dishonored. "In multiplayer, there's a group, so everyone has to worry about going forward or being shot at. But we're also keeping an eye out for ways to do multiplayer the right way."
Read Polygon's review of the newest chapter in Dishonored's DLC series, The Brigmore Witches.
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies, Street Fighter vets and more designing Magic 2015 cards
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Flick Bird - clone of Flappy Bird
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup