Although a sequel to Dishonored has yet to be officially announced, Bethesda's statement that the game has exceeded sales expectations and reached franchise status is as good as a confirmation. So what can we expect from a follow-up to one of last year's best titles?
Arkane's co-creative director Raphael Colantonio believes next gen systems offer plenty of opportunity for exploration, as well as the possibility of some form of multiplayer options in the stealth adventure.
"The next generation is mostly going to be about memory," he said, in an interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun. "More memory means more entities, more density, more AI with more variations in their animations, bigger levels with less loading.
"But the values we hold will remain the same. It's all about interactivity and choices, consequences to your choices, many ways to do things, exploration, verticality, and all kinds of player tools. The more kinds of tools we can give to the player in a very simulated environment, the better the experience is."
Colantonio said that the team "might be interested by multiplayer," but warned that it would "not necessarily be the traditional multiplayer approach." He added, "Primarily, we are storytellers. That's the part we like." He said that players progressing at their own pace is at the heart of Dishonored. "In multiplayer, there's a group, so everyone has to worry about going forward or being shot at. But we're also keeping an eye out for ways to do multiplayer the right way."
Read Polygon's review of the newest chapter in Dishonored's DLC series, The Brigmore Witches.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- There is a human inside this insane Metal Gear cosplay
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart