Microsoft reportedly agreed to finance the development and production of a BBC's sci-fi television series Blake's 7 remake for distribution on Xbox Live, according to a Financial Times report.
Citing sources familiar with the deal, the report states that Microsoft has agreed to back the show but has "not committed to a full series." London-based film and television company Motion Picture Capital, with Reliance backing, will remake the cult-classic sci-fi, according to the report, with Casino Royale director Martin Campbell slated as director.
Created by Terry Nation, the creator of Doctor Who's Daleks, Blake's 7 ran for four 13-episode seasons from 1978 through 1981. The series plot revolved around the space adventures of a rag-tag group of renegades, guerrillas and criminals led by main protagonist Roj Blake, a political activist who was convicted on false charges.
It was announced during the Xbox One reveal that Halo 4 developer 343 Industries is collaborating with director Steven Spielberg to develop a Halo live-action TV series. At the time, studio head Bonnie Ross said that 343 Industries looks forward to merging "the storytelling magic of television with the interactive innovation of Xbox One."
In June, Microsoft hired Elan Lee as chief design officer at Xbox Entertainment Studios to aid in its push to integrate Xbox One with TV entertainment. In his new role, Elan reports to former-president of CBS Television Studios, XES boss Nancy Tellem. Earlier that same month, reports surfaced that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer reportedly held meetings with Hollywood TV executives to secure exclusive content for the Xbox One.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Cheap Shark for Games?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Square Goods @PS4 INVITE live 9pm pst
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- The controller: will it get fixed?