Sony has inked a "preliminary agreement" with Viacom to bring its cable channels — MTV, Comedy Central, The Wall Street Journal.and more — to a planned internet-based TV service for PlayStation, Bravia and other devices, according to a report from
Sony's online TV service plans reportedly include streaming programming from cable channels and providing on-demand content. According to WSJ, the service is aiming to launch later this year and will initially be available on an unspecified PlayStation console and Bravia HDTVs.
Variety reported earlier this year that Sony was looking to strike deals with at least two major content providers for an online TV service for a 2013 launch.
At E3 2013, CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment Michael Lynton said the company's entertainment division planned to bring its content to PlayStation 4.
"Sony Pictures will do everything in our power to drive the success of the PlayStation 4 by developing programming with gamers in mind and providing access to incredible content," he said. Sony's Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited offerings are planned to hit the next-gen console at launch.
The PlayStation 4 is slated to arrive sometime in the fourth quarter.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Two Ubisoft developers watched a goat sacrifice while researching Far Cry 4
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- DESTINY disappointment?
- PS4 Beta Codes