The recent Virtual Console release of Super NES game EarthBound is, according to Nintendo, off to a great start. In an announcement from Nintendo of America today, the company said the Wii U game was the third bestselling eShop game on Wii U, with only New Super Luigi U and Pikmin 3 besting the SNES re-release in terms of consumer spend.
The downloadable release of EarthBound was just one of a few key digital successes for Nintendo in the United States, the company said. Sales of Nintendo 3DS game Animal Crossing: New Leaf have passed 660,000 units in the states, with physical and digital sales combined, with 150,000 of those happening in July.
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon sales passed the 820,000 mark — again, with digital and physical sales combined — and New Super Mario Bros. U sales jumped past 830,000.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Highergrounds Game
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- PS+ & Stryder
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story